Tuesday, July 10, 2012

50 Shades of --- Does your mother know you're reading this?

It's summer, so I'm back in my usual routine of reading three or four books at a time. You know--one for the gym, one for the pool, one for Battle of the Books, one for bed... I suppose it might actually be easier to just read one at a time, but where's the fun in that? Anyway, it takes longer to finish a book when you do this, so I've been ignoring my posts. Additionally, I've been learning how to cook. Really cook. As in, no microwaves or frozen packaging involved. Now I'm stuck having to write a bunch of reviews at once, which means I'm picking and choosing what titles to discuss. 

I wasn't going to write about the 50 Shades Trilogy because of its content, but after reading all three books, I figured I should at least mention it. As you've heard, it's basically erotica. Don't expect anything more in the first book. If you can get past the first one, the second and third have actual plots. They're predictable and definitely not the next great American novel, but "summer beach reads" that are entertaining. They've remained on the NYT Bestsellers list because they create a fantasy world where adults can lose themselves. 

I thought they were okay. I'm not going to say they were great because I didn't think so. I don't care how much money EL James has made, there are thousands of books that are better. The characters were pretty flat (as in ALL of the characters, save Ana and Christian, the main characters. But to say they were round and went through leaps and bounds in character development is a leap in itself) and the dialogue was repetitive. How many times can you read the same jealous conversation, even if the words have changed slightly? I also have a hard time giving credit to the author when the books were originally written online as Twilight fanfiction. Ana and Christian are obviously replicas of Edward and Bella. As I told someone else when discussing the book, I kept waiting for Christian to look up from his somber midnight piano playing and provocatively reveal to Ana that he's a creature of the night.

However, I have never been one to completely neglect a book's entertainment value. Obviously, many people have been sucked into the story. In addition to the Christian/Ana escapades, there are car chases, tours of the world, parties, weddings, and attempted murders. If you're looking for a daring read, then this one might to pique your interest.


Haha, on a related note, I saw this picture on Pinterest the other day:
I agree 100% with the quote, but...you might want to read 50 Shades via Kindle. Save yourself from public scrutiny. I know I did.

Target Age Range: Adult

No comments:

Post a Comment