Saturday, January 21, 2012

One for the Money

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

I may have been one of the last women in the continental United States who had never read a Stephanie Plum book, but now I'm off that list. Thanks to Rhonda, my dear librarian friend, for her Facebook comment about reading the newest book, Explosive Eighteen, since that was what finally got me to flip open the cover of one. So keep in mind that I'm well aware that this review is circa 1994, but I was ten at the time and had no business reading this book then anyway. 

Fun and breezy, One for the Money was definitely what I would consider a "beach read," but there's nothing wrong with that--even in January. Plum is newly unemployed, has just had her car repossessed, and needs food in her fridge. She finds herself in a position to apply for an office clerk job, but jumps at the chance to make fast cash by bringing in those who have skipped bail. Her first "client" happens to be her ex, Joe Morelli, a cop in trouble for supposedly shooting an unarmed man.

Plum quickly finds herself in a number of scrapes, but these are minor since a lunatic boxer has his heart set on torturing her. Pride and the drive to prove herself keeps her from running to the cops, and her life dangerously spins out of control. 

Follow Stephanie as she tries to convince Joe to turn himself in while avoiding the wrath of a crazed fighter. I realize that statement makes this sound like a thriller, but don't let it fool you. The characters' dialogue is spicy and full of humor, which lightens the plot. Like I said, it's a fun read. I've already borrowed the next one from the library.

Target age range: adults

No comments:

Post a Comment