Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Hard Boiled in the Oven Eggs & Squash Casserole

So I saw this idea on Pinterest about how you can hard boil eggs in the oven at 325 for 25-30 minutes. Not that it's all that difficult to boil them in a pot of water...but I needed to take a shower, so this was more convenient. 

It worked. But the shells turned spotty!


You'd think the spots would indicate little burned marks, but there was only one burned place on this whole egg (and none on the one I ate this morning). So...I don't know why they're spotty. Chemists? Any ideas? Oh, and the burned spot would probably indicate that 27 minutes was too long in my oven.
 

The yolks turned out nice though. And they're spotless.


I also made squash casserole for the first time ever yesterday. I know, I know. How can I have grown up in eastern NC without ever making that? Well, kiss my grits, folks, I usually just saute squash. I used the recipe found here as a starter, but then changed things as I saw fit.

 I used the following ingredients:
3 squash
2 zucchini
2 eggs
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
dash of rosemary
8 oz feta (I bought a block and crumbled it myself because it's cheaper that way)
5 oz sour cream
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper


 Layer half of your squash on the bottom of the pan.


Beat your eggs.


Mix in all other ingredients.
 

Spread half of your mixture on top of the squash. Then layer the remaining squash and mixture.
I sprinkled more parmesan and pepper on top. Bake at 375f for 40-45 minutes.


 I did a spanking good job on this. Tobias got seconds on vegetables, so you know it was at least a step above edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment